November 9, 2003

Talk of a draft grows despite denials by White House (08 Nov 03) :: Radio Free USA :: Unflinching and Unembedded Independent News.

The draft was in place when I was in the Army and in Vietnam. The draft creates emotional behavior in those who try to avoid it and military service generally. Thousands fled to Canada to avoid it, many other received student deferments. I am persuaded that the draft would be difficult to reinstate absent a national emergency. Most people, particularly in the north and east, abhor military service (After all, you might be killed or wounded!).

On the other hand, I consider the draft to be a great equalizer. People from all walks of life and all social and economic backgrounds are joined together in a common purpose. My experience in the military was enormously educational and I think I became a better person from it. I learned to not only to tolerate, but truly join with men that I would otherwise never encounter given my background raised in a small New England town.

I hope we don't have a conflict that requires the draft, but if we do, I hope men and women will embrace rather than avoid it.

No comments: