July 13, 2009

Google Voice

I finally received my long-awaited invitation for Google Voice. Yesterday, I chose my number and have been quietly playing with it to better understand the ins and outs from a personal perspective. I have linked my home phone and cell phone to it.

It's powerful and easy to use. So far I have set up my voicemail, sent SMS messages from the browser interface, made a local call (they are free). I will soon test the voicemail transcription feature and then move to more sophisticated functions.

The feature set is strongest for inbound calls to the new number, which I intend to distribute on my next batch of business cards. I am reluctant to display it on my blog because I don't want a bunch of junk phone calls.

The uptake may be slow, but the phone companies should be worried in that Google is inserting itself at the top of the phone pyramid...and it's tough to beat free and very inexpensive overseas calling.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently noticed that another friend also received his invite. (I hope I'm not missing mine somehow...)

Do you have the ability to send invites?