August 29, 2010

My New Smartphone

I took the smartphone plunge. My old Motorola phone had a cracked glass face so I decided to upgrade to a new DROID2 from Verizon about a week ago.
This thing is a very powerful device but I'm just beginning to learn how to use it. I chose Android because I want to remain with Verizon Wireless and because I'm an inveterate Google user. The ability to manage Gmail and Calendar using the new and improved slider keyboard is so convenient. I have set it up to use Google Voice for calling and voice mail.
Android 2.2 (upgraded to 2.2.2 on Friday) is a powerful operating system and I particularly like the voice actuated search and calling tools in this Android release. Future software upgrades can only include improved capabilities.


I debated waiting for Verizon's 4G LTE roll-out and the powerful phones that will surely follow, but that's likely two+ years away in Vermont so I decided on the DROID2.


Since I have a MiFi hotspot device that has a few more months to run on its two-year contract, I'll hold off on activating the WiFi hotspot feature on the DROID2.

No comments: