May 1, 2009

Broadband communication | Down the tubes | The Economist

TV over the internet is set to slam broadside against cable's business model which sells packages or tiers of channels carefully crafted to extract maximum revenue even though most of us watch only 15-20 out of the 100+ we 'pay' for. With a host of new inexpensive or free services and some enabling devices, TV over the the internet will slowly erode cable's revenues, particularly as the recession eats into consumers' pocketbooks.

I must try Hulu to see if it's as good as its hype.

This Economist story below is well worth reading.

 

Broadband communication | Down the tubes | The Economist

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As with Google Voice for telephone, I'm more than ready to shift to Internet-based TV. If it means I can use the same account in Vermont and Montreal, all the better. So, out with my TV (no, I didn't buy into the flatscreen era), and skip ahead to a Samsung(?) wide screen for both TV and computer.