October 26, 2004

Scripting News: 10/26/2004 The NYT Judith Miller Controversy

Dave Winer is carefully examining the issue of a NY Times reporter, Judith Miller, defying a court order to reveal her source(s) for a reporting on the outing of a CIA secret operative, the wife of a Democratic whistle-blower diplomat. The outing of a secret intelligence operative is a felony. So far, Winer is coming down on the side: famous reporters should have no more legal rights under the Constitution than bloggers.

This is a tough issue, but my initial reaction is to agree with him, particularly since the issue at stake is a felony. Why should there be legal exceptions for high-powered reporters, unless the statute makes exceptions for reporters, which I don't think it does?

Blogging surely churns up the status quo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the summary. I still don't understand why the NYT fired her. Can you direct me to a complete chronology of the case?

David Usher said...

I don't have a reference, but I'm sure you can find something by searching on some of the media organizations' sites.