March 7, 2007

Yum Yum Spaghetti Sauce!

I made this sauce without the meatballs a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent. Of course, the real flavor comes from the pork and beef meat that is simmered in the tomato sauce. But the secret ingredient must be the pepperoncini. I've never before seen a sauce recipe calling for that ingredient, but it's good. Of course, like most sauces, it's better the second time.

For a superb spaghetti sauce, try this recipe provided by my son, Mark. We had a Harrington's ham last week and the leftovers were wonderful in this sauce (gravy, if you prefer). Noteworthy is that both the NY Times recipe and Amatriciana recipe originate in Abruzzo, Italy. The family Zappa recipe was from a town within 10 miles (as the crow flies) from my wife's ancestral village in Abruzzo. Is that why I like it so much?

No comments: