November 29, 2007

Unlocking the Benefits of Garlic - Well - Tara Parker-Pope - Health - New York Times Blog

Unlocking the Benefits of Garlic - Well - Tara Parker-Pope - Health - New York Times Blog:

I love garlic and use quite a bit of it in my cooking! This writing suggests that between five and a dozen cloves daily seems to have salubrious health benefits. That's more than I use, but could go for more. This tidbit caught my eye:

"Many home chefs mistakenly cook garlic immediately after crushing or chopping it, added Dr. Kraus. To maximize the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic."
I wonder if the pre-cut garlic in jars has the same effect?

Eat more garlic!

No comments: