November 24, 2008

The Media Equation - Google Seduces With Utility - NYTimes.com

The Media Equation - Google Seduces With Utility - NYTimes.com:

Ever since I switched to Gmail when first released (I was a pioneer subscriber to att.net mail when Tom Evslin was running that piece of the business way back there and to Compuserve Mail long before that.) I've not turned back. At last count I am using 23 Google services, features or applications on a regular basis. They have captured my mind share without a doubt. Nevertheless, I try to keep up with what Microsoft and others are doing, but Google makes it so very easy and useful to stay with them.

Almost everything is free, but I do wish they'd eliminate the storage charges for Picasa Web. It seems unnecessary in light of Google's business model.


"“The nice thing is that we don’t force you to use only our stuff,” he said. “It is not tied tightly together, and the content is all easily exportable. If you feel like we are letting you down, or you don’t like our products or we are failing to innovate, you can pick up and go where you want.”

But with video chat now enabled in my Gmail, how likely am I to click away? Some people worry that Google will take over the world. Through the sins of competence and innovation, the company has quietly and efficiently surrounded me.

“That’s our business model,” Mr. Schmidt [Google's CEO] said."

No comments: