December 14, 2008

Nice Summary of Wordsmithing Tools

Here's a neat and short summary of browser-based tools to enable your writing. After a few years, I have more than 1,000 documents and spreadsheets at Google Docs. I was captured by Writely when it first surfaced and absorbed into Google when they bought the company.

Except for very complex documents and those where folks are worried about security, nearly all word documents can be produced and stored on line. This provides the real advantage of automatic backup, collaborative editing and access from anywhere.

Yet I still use Microsoft Office for other purposes that aren't yet as easy online (e.g., mail merge, label printing and others.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What if my Google account just disappears some day? Who do I call? If I reach someone, can I expect them to help me when I've been using their service for free?

There are many questions and concerns... though I use Google Docs too.... every day!