December 13, 2009

Digital Domain - AT&T Takes the Fall for the iPhone’s Glitches - NYTimes.com

Digital Domain - AT&T Takes the Fall for the iPhone’s Glitches - NYTimes.com

So, this story says that AT&T has a wireless network superior to Verizon's and the sullied reputation of AT&T's network is caused by poor design of the iPhone? Who to believe? I don't have an iPhone and so have no personal experience with either that phone or AT&T's network.

For me, ubiquitous coverage and reliability are most important. Since 2006 I have had Verizon's 3G BroadbandAccess service for laptop use on the road. On a U.S. cross-country RV trip in 2006, I found VZ's service to be broadly available and it has served me well since. I recently upgraded to the MiFi 'modem in your pocket' personal WiFi hotspot, and that's a very nice device that allows both Carol and I (and three others) to be connected simultaneously.

The marketing wars will continue, but now that Google's announcement of an Android phone in 2010 unconnected to a wireless provider is a big deal. Yesterday's initial reports did not state whether it would be available both for GSM networks (AT&T) and EVDO-RevA (Verizon). My guess is they will have a phone for both wireless technologies, although early reports said that Google employees recently had a GSM model to play with.

No comments: