May 15, 2004

A Dumb Thing

My left ring finger is now well bandaged after a trip to the emergency room on Saturday afternoon. How did this happen? Well, despite many warnings that I have read over the years, the lesson learned the hard way is: don't try to break up a dog fight with your bare hands.

My Airedale, Jesse, and our son's dog, Emma, who's staying with us for a while got into a scrap that resulted from my mistake in letting them get together in the living room. Jesse and Emma are both alpha females who don't like each other. The house is gated into secure areas just to prevent them getting together. With my hands full of groceries, I opened a gate and Jesse snuck by to get at Emma and the fur began to fly...literally. I tried to grab them both by the collars and my hand found its way into a mouth, Jesse's I think.

Now Jesse will be quarantined for 10 days at home and the animal control officer will pay a visit this week.

What a way to spoil an otherwise wonderful Saturday afternoon! Great care at the ER by good folks. Thanks.

No comments: