May 5, 2004

The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Contributor: A War for Us, Fought by Them

Thoughtful comments by William Broyles Jr. His comment below reflects the true nature of serving in tough situations. I agree with him in my own experience in the military generally and in Vietnam. Character is discovered, developed and displayed. A 'Band of Brothers' truly does exist in many shapes, forms and situations when lives are on the line. Is the military perfect, Of course not. All the human frailties are present, too. Nevertheless, courage and character are in great supply.
+++++++++++
"In three years I learned more about standards, commitment and yes, life, than I did in six years of university. I also learned that I had had no idea of my own limits: when I was exhausted after humping up and down jungle mountains in 100-degree heat with a 75-pound pack, terrified out of my mind, wanting only to quit, convinced I couldn't take another step, I found that in fact I could keep going for miles. And my life was put in the hands of young men I would otherwise never have met, by and large high-school dropouts, who turned out to be among the finest people I have ever known."
++++++++++++

No comments: