September 23, 2004

Heinz Kerry helps Democrats raise $1M at Phoenix event - 2004-09-23 - The Business Journal of Phoenix

Heinz Kerry helps Democrats raise $1M at Phoenix event - 2004-09-23 - The Business Journal of Phoenix:

That would be good for the country, good for Bush, and bad for Kerry. Perhaps we have him bottled up somewhere and can go get him whenever we want. Perhaps we don't. Getting him is good. Not getting him is bad.

Kerry can't get Osama before the election. Only Bush's team can. Call it an advantage of incumbency.

Too bad, Teresa. That's the way it is.

"'I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared in the next month,' said Heinz Kerry, alluding to a possible capture by United States and allied forces before election day. "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this is probably the only one point on this page I'll (respectfully) disagree with. I think that capturing bin Laden would be quite bad for Bush unless he does it within a week of the election (even with all the conspiracy theories that will surely be raised). The reason I say this is that unfortunately the American public has an incredibly short attention span. If bin Laden is captured, it's a "problem solved" and the bigger picture (the global war on terror) diminishes. If Americans feel that that terrorism is less of an urgent threat with bin Laden behind bars, it takes away from Bush's greatest strength. I think Bush knows this, and I think that they'll talk about being closer and closer, but won't catch him until after Nov 2nd. But that's just my guess :)

David Usher said...

Anonymous,

Your analysis is excellent. Much ado would be made of an Osama capture so close to election day and the signal could very well be: Osama gone-terrorism licked. That would be a dangerous conclusion. But I really can't get my head around either party playing Osama for political gain. We just need to get him. I think if we had him bottled up, getting him before this would have been better, poltitically.