March 17, 2005

The New York Times > Technology > Circuits > Meet You at the Photo Kiosk

The Kiosk model for printing must have a 'community element' to it that attracts people. I print most of my photos at home, but if I have occasional large jobs, I'll upload to Shutterfly or use Ritz, which allows me to upload then pick up at the local Ritz outlet in hours, or the next day at the latest. Of course, this is only practical with a broadband connection. I calculate my price for printing at home at about $0.50-$0.55 per 4x6 print, but the convenience is worth the price.

For one of the best online photo experiences, try Flickr. Very powerful and user-friendly. Flickr doesn't offer printing services, but as a great online community photo sharing experience...more fun than standing in line at Costco waiting to use the kiosk.

"A few years ago, nearly all digital printing was done at home. Now, even with the proliferation of home printers designed specifically for photos, many camera owners are content to go out. Last year, Kodak said, 1.9 billion digital images were printed by all methods, with 57 percent done at home, 33 percent at retail locations and 10 percent through online services. The company predicts that by 2007 the number of printed images will rise to 10.7 billion a year and that the share printed at kiosks will grow to 37 percent."

No comments: