March 22, 2005

The Silence of Christmas and the Scream of the Tsunami: Soul-Speak in a Suicidal Culture [Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM)]

Ravi Zacharias is a Christian apologist of the first order. I have heard him speak in Rome and in Connecticut. All his words in this essay should be heeded. In particular...

"Those who seek to change our vocabulary are gradually eradicating the relationship between truth and culture, between the past and the present. They want to remove all markers that brought us this far. They should be sure that if they continue in this way the very worldview they have put into place will one day eradicate them as well. Do you remember the words of Martin Niemoller who tried to warn those who remained silent to the Nazi atrocities? He said (d.u. comment: after the War),

'First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.'

Those who wipe out the memory of the Christian faith will find out that the logic of their position may one day lead someone to wipe them out as well, and there will be no belief left to come to their aid, for there will be no one left with reason to speak of loving those who despise you."

No comments: