January 28, 2007

Unhappy Meals - Michael Pollan - New York Times

Unhappy Meals - Michael Pollan - New York Times:

Below are the opening sentences of this incredibly astute and common sense article. Undeniably one of the best I've ever read about what to eat and the links between the foods and other substances.

Michael Pollan, the author, slaughters all sacred cows including that most pervasive...nutritionism.

All I can say is: Read it! Read it! Read it!

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy. I hate to give away the game right here at the beginning of a long essay, and I confess that I’m tempted to complicate matters in the interest of keeping things going for a few thousand more words. I’ll try to resist but will go ahead and add a couple more details to flesh out the advice. Like: A little meat won’t kill you, though it’s better approached as a side dish than as a main. And you’re much better off eating whole fresh foods than processed food products. That’s what I mean by the recommendation to eat “food.”"

No comments: