February 23, 2007

A History Department Bans Citing Wikipedia as a Research Source - New York Times

A History Department Bans Citing Wikipedia as a Research Source - New York Times

This is an excellent debate at this point in our culture. Traditional scholarshipo vs. what some see as 'pop knowledge.' I firmly believe that Wikipedia is a good thing. In the long term, with solid editorial policies and disciplines, knowledge bases with thousands of contributors will more broadly disseminate good information.

I use Wikipedia frequently, not for scholarship, but for general information. Sure, I know there is misinformation and incorrect content, but for how I use it, it suits me just fine.

Those who believe that knowledge and reliability only come from 'experts' should fondly remember, or research in Wikipedia, the '70s when global cooling was the prevailing trend in climate science.

No comments: