October 1, 2007

Microsoft Office Live Workspace

I've pre-registered for this new service from Microsoft. I can see many uses for it and the service is the first deep foray by Microsoft into Google's Docs & Spreadsheets territory, which has captured me because it's an enormously useful service. Now I'll be torn between the two.

In any event, this opens the future for online document storage to many folks who have not yet made the transition from the "Web for email and the PC for documents mentality." I am so firmly sold on the Internet as the place to work, store and share all kinds of documents and media, that I may never reach the hard drive capacity of my new PC.

All this Web functionality puts enormous focus on reliability, security and ease of access to broadband connections. As I think about the near-term future of the Internet, I am very optimistic. However, the inertia created by what people are comfortable with and the rules of companies for using these online storage and sharing services will probably slow down mainstream adoption.

The wired and wireless broadband future will condition how we work and communicate with an even more powerful influence than the telephone in the 20th century. Thank you Tim Berners-Lee, DARPA, XEROX-PARC, Bill Gates, Mitch Kapor, Marc Andreeson, and the numerous other Internet pioneers and all those software and communications companies and researchers who made and continue to make this possible.

No comments: