October 1, 2007

Use My Photo? Not Without Permission - New York Times

The Intricacies of Online Sharing of Photos

This scenario described by Cohen in the Times targets the growing issues associated with sharing information & photos on Web sites. I think the Creative Commons licensing scheme is a good idea and I use the "Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike" option for my photos on Flickr. A few months ago I had a request form a travel guide to use one of my photos and I agreed. The system works and seems fair to me as long as people understand that photographers have rights to their photos.

In this case the lawsuit is about the rights of a person in a photograph. They obviously have rights and people who know what they are doing will get a release from the subjects before using a photo or video including a real person.

No comments: