April 15, 2009

Op-Ed Columnist - Dinosaur at the Gate - NYTimes.com

Op-Ed Columnist - Dinosaur at the Gate - NYTimes.com:

Maureen Dowd is an entertaining but seldom benevolent journalist, not one my favorites because her skewer is always sharp...not enough humility.

In this interview with Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, about the future of print journalism, she opines:

"When I ask him if human editorial judgment still matters, he tries to reassure me: “We learned in working with newspapers that this balance between the newspaper writers and their editors is more subtle than we thought. It’s not reproducible by computers very easily.”

I feel better for a minute, until I realize that the only reason he knew that I wasn’t so easily replaceable is that Google had been looking into how to replace me."

No comments: