October 10, 2009

Gas Extraction Method Could Greatly Increase Global Supplies - NYTimes.com

Gas Extraction Method Could Greatly Increase Global Supplies - NYTimes.com

This technological breakthrough is a really big deal because of its potential to extend the world's natural gas supplies by 100s of years.

Will it put a huge dent in the construction of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) tankers and port facilities or increase the demand for transporting all this new found gas to places in the world without a pipeline infrastructure?

A big question is whether this plentiful gas will begin to replace coal as a source of electricity in the next couple of decades. The story is a bit unclear whether environmentalists favor or oppose this inevitable natural gas expansion. However I have read elsewhere that the new shale fracturing technique requires enormous amounts of water, often in short supply in many places. This factor may slow down the NG permitting, drilling and extraction.

On a personal level I have decided to convert from fuel oil to a high efficiency system using natural gas for home heating. The Federal tax credits are substantial for the conversion and Vermont Gas also provides a significant financial incentive for switching,

While I dislike abandoning my loyal and faithful local fuel oil dealer, I believe the economics and less volatile price swings will work in my favor and also increase the value of my house. The new boiler will be installed next week.

2 comments:

TOOTIE said...

I hope you're happy with your new natural gas system.
We switched over many years ago and I miss my fuel oil dealer also.
Let me know how you like it.
My home is never comfortably warm unless you turn the heat way up.
My oil gave off hotter air.I couldn't stand in front of the register in the kitchen. Now it's like a whisper of heat coming out of there.
I am tired of being cold.
TOOTIE

David Usher said...

Sounds like you have a hot air system. I have forced hot water, so the 'register effect' should be nil.
I'll let you know how it performs. Good workers who know their business are installing the new gas boiler today.