May 15, 2009

Thomas Kostigen's Ethics Monitor: The happiest places on Earth are heavily taxed - MarketWatch

Thomas Kostigen's Ethics Monitor: The happiest places on Earth are heavily taxed - MarketWatch

I was thinking that our Vermont Legislature must be trying to emulate these northern European countries in providing everything for everybody. I can't imagine paying 2/3 of my income in taxes as do Danish taxpayers. (I wonder what % of Danes actually pay income taxes?)

"...social welfare programs include health insurance, health and hospital services, insurance for occupational injuries, unemployment insurance and employment exchange services. There's also old age and disability pensions, rehabilitation and nursing homes, family welfare subsidies, general public welfare and payments for military accidents. Moreover, maternity benefits are payable up to 52 weeks..."


America, for all its schisms, contentions, and problems would still be my country of choice. I'd rather be responsible for my own happiness instead of turning that over to a social network run by a government.

Unfortunately, I think TeamObama and our left-leaning Legislature has other ideas, all the better to retain power. We must resist the loss of liberty that follows if we take that path.

There's a lot not to like about Denmark's system. Have a look at the suicide rates in these Nordic countries? Is that happiness?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: