March 11, 2009

Wal-Mart Plans to Market System for Digital Health Records - NYTimes.com

Wal-Mart Plans to Market System for Digital Health Records - NYTimes.com

This would seem to be just what's needed to jump start electronic health care records in small physician practices, but the story is lacking at least two key elements.

1./Are all the standards in place now so that medical information can be exchanged between all the stops along the health care path? Will these systems in doctors offices be able to easily interface with insurers, hospitals, labs and clinics so that all the info sources can come together on the doc's PC? Who will be the gatekeeper for all those points of interface?

2./How will the web-savvy patient connect with his/her health information? I recently changed physicians and now I can at least use email for simple communications. But I can't schedule or change appointments online. I want far more robust access to my records and the ability to insert my own comments and information into my electronic health record.

No comments: